We have recently noticed that users are receiving an error message stating “Can’t establish a secure connection to the server”, “This webpage is not available”, “Secure Connection Failed” when trying to login to Blackboard, Workday, Canelink, and other platforms that use the Single Sign On to login. This appears to only be affecting users with Mac OS X that have Avast antivirus Installed.
Error Message is triggered after the user clicks on “Login with Cane ID”
This error message can be prevented by disabling the “Web Shield” in Avast. The steps below will show you how to perform this task.
1) Open Avast.
A. Click on the “Avast” Icon on the top of your Mac’s Menu Bar
B. Click on “Open Avast”
2) Click on the “Preferences” Icon located at the bottom left of the “Avast Mac Security” Application.
3) The Preferences Window will open. Click on the “Settings” link located below the “Disable” button for the Web Shield.
4) Click on the “+” icon to add a webpage to the Excluded Servers list.
5) You will be prompted for your password. Enter your Credentials and then click on the “Install Helper” button.
6) Add the CaneID login page to the Excluded servers list.
A. Type https://caneid.miami.edu
B. Set https as the Service
C. Click on “Add” to finish adding the CaneID login page to the Excluded servers list