As an Instructor in a course you can store files and documents in the Content Collection. The Content Collection allows you to store, share, and publish content throughout your course in Blackboard. However, We have recently discovered when sharing a Folder that contains a Subfolder might lead to an error message when Students in your course try to access it. The Students will be able to see the contents inside of the Parent Folder, but they will receive an error message when they try to access the Subfolder.
The image below displays the structure that can lead to problems when sharing content from the Content Collection.
The image below displays the error message that Students receive when they try to access the Subfolder.
By default, Students have “Read” Access to folders and files in the Content Collection. When a Subfolder is created inside of a Folder the read permissions are not being passed down to the Subfolder which ultimately leads to an error message.
The read permissions will have to be implemented to the “Parent Folder” manually inside of the Content Collection.
1) You will first need to go into your course site and access the Content Collection.
2) Click on the “Options Button” next to the folder you would like to modify (The main folder that all of the files are in).
3) A dropdown menu will open, Select “Permissions”.
4) From the Manage Permissions Page Click “Select Specific Users by Place” and choose the Course Site.
5) Under “Select Roles” choose Student.
6) Under “Set Permissions” choose Read.
Your Students should now have access to the content stored inside of the Subfolder!